Self Assessment: A Quick, Easy Way to Identify and Prioritize Improvement Opportunities
PEN offers two online assessment options: a Self Assessment and First Step. The Self Assessment is a quick, easy way to help leaders identify and prioritize improvement opportunities – through the perspective of their workforce. Leveraging the Baldrige Express survey for up to 100 workers (more can be added for a fee), this process takes about two hours of each respondent's time and gathers input on organizational strengths and improvement opportunities in areas such as leadership, strategic planning, customer focus, measurement and knowledge management, workforce, and operations.
The Self Assessment Feedback Report includes raw ratings, aggregated for the organization and disagregated by customized organizational demographices (such as levels of leadership, facilitities or departments, years of experience). The Feedback Report also includes employees' commentary on current process performance, along with suggetions for improvement. In this way, the Self Assessment will help you find your top 3-5 improvement opportunities, but also give you insights on how to immediately take action to improve them!
Here’s how it works:
- Commit to an assessment by submitting a Letter of Intent.
- Organizations receive a complimentary one-hour consultation to set up the assessment (by phone or in person) and to discuss the factors that drive performance excellence. In the discussion, we will establish survey sample size, organizational demographics, and timeline for the survey.
- The assessment survey is administered by our partner, the Alliance for Performance Excellence (https://www.baldrigepe.org/alliance/). The survey is on-line, password protected (so allows for confidential responses), and is usually “open” for 2-3 weeks. The assessment includes up to 100 employee participants, usually at various levels and roles within an organization to get a balanced view of organizational strengths and improvement opportunities (more can be added, as requested). Remember: the survey is based on criteria for performance excellence, so is seeking employees’ collective view on how processes are working (it is not an employee satisfaction survey).
- Organizations receive a second complimentary one-hour consultation to summarize and coach the organization on how to interpret the findings. If the organization desires further analysis/interpretation, we can suggest resources and/or discuss how to proceed.
The process takes about 4-6 weeks. Investment is:
- Under 100 invited participants: $2500 for members, $5000 for non-members
- Between 100-199 invited participants: $3000 members, $6000 non-members
- Over 200 invited participants: $3500 members, $7000 non-members
Organizations that successfully complete this process will be recognized at PEN's annual conference the following year.